Saturday, February 23, 2013

Event Update - Benefit Garage Sale(s) - 02.09-10.2013



In my many years of experience, most people dread having to put together a garage sale, they only put it together when they are filled to the brim with stuff and need to make space for new stuff. Not Bill and Jamie, they volunteered to put on a garage sale with the proceeds going to benefit my family. They didn’t just put on a half-hearted attempt of a garage sale, they took on donations that filled their garage, had friends over to make baked goods and signs, posted on Craig list and face book and even went out picking up donations from people all around Las Vegas. These two, along with some good friends, really put on a good sale to help out our family; I couldn’t be more thankful to have them in our lives and owe them a huge deal.

Enough of the mushy, gushy thankfulness, lets get on with some of the details of the garage sale. The weather was actually quite terrible; I would say it was in the 50 degree weather, which wouldn’t be so bad, except there was 20+ MPH winds on both days and rarely any sun to be had, it was miserable. With the temperature, my 0% body fat and the fact that I wasn’t feeling well those days, it was really a struggle for me to sit around; I know, it sounds bad, but it’s true. Saturday was okay, for me I mean; I was able to stick it out the entire day, with two jackets on, curled up on one of the couches being sold. Sunday was quite the opposite, at best I was in rough shape, I spent almost the entire day sleeping; I felt bad for doing it while everyone else suffered.

All in all it went really well, even with the horrendous weather; we had made almost $700 from the garage sale(s) and still have more stuff to sell. We had/have televisions, lots of clothes, a weight bench, board games, game systems, movies, couches, chairs, power sports equipment, sports equipment, appliances; I don’t think I could list all of the stuff we had/have and with a majority of it being donated, they were priced so low some people paid extra to help out.
 
Some of the people that came out were really great, some even came out just because it was a benefit for me, I had people hugging, talking and praying for me that I didn’t even know; it was a really blessing. Bill and Jamie, Amy, Heather, Jamye, Ana and Christa have all been great; not only during the garage sale events, but during this whole debacle, I couldn’t express my gratitude enough for these people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment